Newsletter – April 10th
Skiing is Winding Down 🙁
Here’s Our Season Recap, Plus What’s Coming Up Next:
Stowe Nordic Ski Racing Season Recap:
For those of you who joined club members at a race or two (or more) over the winter (and for others who might be interested in some fun on skis next winter), here’s a quick recap of club results for the 2017-18 season:
- NENSA Zak Cup season-long race series:
- Stowe Nordic finished #5 out of a total of 31 clubs…not bad, but we’ve been #3 in recent years and would love to get back to that level next year.
- Zak Cup is a series of races all over New England that are appropriate for skiers of all ages, abilities and levels of competitiveness. All you have to do is cross the finish line to score a point for your club (the series winners usually do this by getting big turnout, not by having the most talented racers) – the club with the most points at the end of the season wins so every racer and every point helps.
- Zak Cup is a great way to connect with the Stowe Nordic community and have some fun skiing at other venues. If you’ve never done a race think about it for next season… More news win the fall.
- NENSA Awards for Stowe Nordic members in 2018:
- Carrie Nourjian – 3rd overall amongst all women (in all age groups) – congratulations Carrie!
- Carrie Norjian – #1 in M8
- Neal Graves – #1 in M1 class (again)
- Brian Lavoie (new member this year) – #2 in M4
- Sue Emmons – #3 in M7
- Trina Hosmer – #1 in M9
- Sally Howe – #2 in M9
- Dave Hosmer #2 in M9
- Special shout out for Stowe’s Bjorn Westervelt – GOLD & SILVER medals at US Biathlon Nationals
- Bjorn (now 16 yrs old) started skiing with Stowe Nordic’s BKL program years ago and now trains with at Craftsbury where he is a member of their Biathlon team.
- Just last week Bjorn won the GOLD medal in the youth Sprint and SILVER in the Pursuit at the Biathlon Nationals at Soldier Hollow Utah.
- For a little more detail check out this article from FasterSkier: http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/us-biathlon-nationals-rundown-season-ends-soho/
Summer Hiking Group
- With the season moving quickly to snow-free sports we are once again firing up a long standing tradition (25+ years) of Tuesday morning group hikes. Location shifts as snow melts, but the typical routine is a 7am start from the parking lot at Midway Lodge at the mountain and hike up to the Octagon. We’re usually done by 9am so you can start your day feeling virtuous.
- If you are interested in joining us please send us an email at email@example.com with “TUESDAY HIKE” in the subject line and you will be added to the weekly information/reminder email list.
Summer Mountain Bike Program
- With Paul McNeal’s departure, Stowe Nordic has handed off its mountain bike program to a new dedicated mountain bike organization, Stowe Youth Cycling. They will offer the same skills based developmental approach to biking that we did under coach Paul McNeal’s leadership with the goals of developing outstanding bike handling technique, safety, fitness and fun.
- Program options for the upcoming season are as follows:
Spring Tuesdays/Thursdays – 3:15 to 5:15pm May 22 – June 14 Summer Tuesdays/Thursdays – 9:00 to 11:00 (Group 1)
Tuesdays/Thursdays – 11:30 to 1:30 (Group 2)
June 26 – August 16 Fall Tuesdays/Thursdays – 3:15 to 5:15pm September 4 – October 11
- For more information, contact: